BestFind.com.au provides factual information in relation to financial products. While
attempts to make a wide range of products and providers available, it may not cover all the
to you. Moreover, we cannot be responsible for changes made to this information by product
inaccurate information obtained from a product provider. All product information comes from the
provider or publicly available information and to the best of our knowledge is correct at time
The information published on BestFind.com.au is general in nature only and does not consider
objectives, financial situation or particular needs and is not recommending any particular
product to you. If you
decide to apply for a product you will be dealing directly with that provider and not with
BestFind.com.au recommends that you read the relevant PDS or offer documentation before taking
Minimum and maximum loan periods vary between 6 months and 10 years. Comparison
interest rates vary between 6.55% and 19.07% p.a. Total interest repayments vary between
$4,290 and $14,531 over the life of the loan. *Comparison rate is based on an unsecured loan
of $30,000 for a term of 5 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the
examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan
amounts might result in a different comparison rate. These rates can change without further
notice. All rates quoted are per annum. For more information regarding fees click on "View
fees & additional info +" for each product or contact the provider.
Westpac car loans – Get auto finance from a leading bank
Established in 1817, Westpac has over 2 centuries of experience in the financial services game. It also has various divisions and over 13 million customers to show for it. Westpac offers many types of financial products and services, such as home loans, credit cards, and personal loans.
If you’re looking for car loans, you’ll find them bundled under the personal loans option. Let’s look at what else you can discover when it comes to Westpac car loans.
Westpac car loans in a nutshell
If you’re planning to buy a car with Westpac, you have two options: Secured and unsecured. Both scenarios come with a fixed rate, but Westpac car loan interest rates are lower if you choose the secured option, which requires that you use your car as security.
Westpac’s secured car loan also allows you to borrow between 10K and 100K, payable over a maximum loan term of 7 years. Overall, Westpac car loans are a good fit for those looking for a fixed competitive rate and the ability to choose whether or not to offer a car as security.
- Quick online application.
- Extra repayments are allowed.
- Some visa holders can qualify.
- You have the freedom to decide how the seller should be paid.
- Secured car loans come with additional benefits. For instance, you can borrow 10% more to cover other related expenses. You also get a free history check for your vehicle, and pre-approval allows you to negotiate confidently with the seller.
- You have to pay an establishment fee and a monthly fee.
- Small personal loans of under $4,000 are not available.
- An early repayment fee may apply.
Westpac secured car loans
Westpac’s car loan is actually a type of secured personal loan. To qualify for this option, the motor vehicle you plan to use as security should:
- Not be older than 7 years.
- Be registered under your name.
- Be made locally or imported by the manufacturer.
- Not have any previous write-offs.
- Have the coverage of a comprehensive insurance policy in which Westpac is noted as the credit provider.
- Be for personal use only.
You can apply for any amount between $10,000 and $100,000. Although you get a lower rate than an unsecured option, keep in mind that Westpac can reclaim your vehicle if you default. Another thing to note is that Westpac’s car loans have a two-step process.
You first get conditional approval and then final approval once you find a car. Conditional approval does not guarantee funding, and further details about you and the vehicle you’re offering as security may be required before final approval is confirmed.
Westpac personal loans
If offering your vehicle as security isn’t for you, you can still take out an unsecured personal loan from the same lender, but at a higher rate. You can only borrow $4,000 up to $50,000. Our Westpac personal loans guide has the full details in case you decide to apply for this option.
A closer look at Westpac car loan features
- You get a fixed interest rate, meaning your repayments are always the same. So it’s easier to budget, and you don’t have to worry about increasing interest rates.
- You have the flexibility to choose from weekly, fortnightly, or monthly repayments – whichever suits your cash flow.
- It’s possible to make extra repayments and pay off your debt early. However, a prepayment fee may apply if you choose a term that’s over 2 years but clear your debt in under 2 years. This fee can be waived if you’re refinancing to a Westpac personal loan.
- If you’re struggling with your Westpac car loan repayments, you can apply for financial hardship. To reduce the chances of this happening, it’s best to estimate your repayments before applying. Our Westpac car loan calculator is handy for this purpose.
- Fees and charges that apply include an establishment fee of $250 and a monthly service fee of $12. Other fees and charges such as a missed payment fee and bank cheque fee may sometimes apply.
Qualifying for a Westpac Bank loan
Before applying for a car loan, you’ll have to meet Westpac’s basic requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a regular pre-tax income of $35,000 or more per year.
- Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, holder of an acceptable visa, or have confirmed employment in Australia if you’re a non-resident.
- Have a valid Australian driver’s licence.
- Plan to use the funds for personal purposes only. (If you’re looking for a vehicle for business purposes, check out BestFind’s guide on business car loans in Australia).
How to apply online for a Westpac car loan
- Click “Go to Site” in BestFind’s table above to kick-start your online application.
- Provide personal details and current ID as well as details about your employment, income, and expenses. The application process takes about 10 minutes.
- According to Westpac, you’ll get an instant response after you submit.
- Once you find a vehicle, you’ll need to provide a registration certificate or dealer’s invoice and proof of comprehensive insurance. This applies to secured car loans only.
Popular car loan searches
View all popular car loans searches