BestFind.com.au provides factual information in relation to financial products. While
attempts to make a wide range of products and providers available, it may not cover all the
to you. Moreover, we cannot be responsible for changes made to this information by product
inaccurate information obtained from a product provider. All product information comes from the
provider or publicly available information and to the best of our knowledge is correct at time
The information published on BestFind.com.au is general in nature only and does not consider
objectives, financial situation or particular needs and is not recommending any particular
product to you. If you
decide to apply for a product you will be dealing directly with that provider and not with
BestFind.com.au recommends that you read the relevant PDS or offer documentation before taking
Minimum and maximum loan periods vary between 6 months and 10 years. Comparison
interest rates vary between 6.55% and 19.07% p.a. Total interest repayments vary between
$4,290 and $14,531 over the life of the loan. *Comparison rate is based on an unsecured loan
of $30,000 for a term of 5 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the
examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan
amounts might result in a different comparison rate. These rates can change without further
notice. All rates quoted are per annum. For more information regarding fees click on "View
fees & additional info +" for each product or contact the provider.
What type of car loan are you looking for?
Bank SA car loans – Choose what’s best for your auto needs
For Bank SA, it all started in 1848 when John Hector set up a one-man, one-room financial institution and named it the Savings Bank of South Australia. These humble beginnings later set the course for acquisition by St. George Bank more than a century later.
Due to a subsequent merger, Bank SA is now a Westpac division and has “South Australia’s largest network of branches and ATMs.” It offers credit cards, home loans, savings accounts, and other specialist lending products. The list also includes personal loans for cars, a product which is fully explained in our Bank SA car loans guide.
Quick details about Bank SA car loans
Disclaimer: Please note that Bank SA has consolidated its car loans with its personal loans. Therefore, Bank SA car loans are simply personal loans taken out for the specific reason of buying a car.
- How much? – Loan amounts range from $2K and $80K
- How long? – Repayments are made over 1 to 7 years
- Interest rate – Starts from 7.49%
- Interest rate type – Fixed or variable
- Security – Secured or unsecured
- Uses – Suitable for a new or used car
Which loans does Bank SA offer when buying a car?
- Bank SA secured personal loan. When you offer your car as security, you can borrow between $5,000 and $80,000 at a low rate of 7.49% (fixed rate) or 12.74% (variable rate), which is lower than an unsecured loan. To be eligible, the car must be registered under your name, and it should be 12 years old or less by the time you pay off your debt. It should also be a four-wheel vehicle with no extensive damage or previous write-offs. Lastly, you must insure the car according to Bank SA requirements.
- Bank SA unsecured personal loan. This allows you to borrow between $2,000 and $50,000 without using your car as security. You get an interest rate of 9.99% (fixed rate) or 12.99% (variable rate).
Features of Bank SA car loans
- Fixed or variable rate. Fixed rate loans come with set repayments and protection from interest rate hikes, so you always know how much to budget. On the other hand, variable rate loans are more flexible since they allow you to make fee-free extra repayments.
- Redraw facility. Another advantage of variable rate products is you can withdraw your extra repayments if the need arises.
- Repayment frequency. It’s possible to opt for weekly, fortnightly, or monthly repayments. Our Bank SA car loan calculator is available if you want to estimate your loan repayments.
- Loan terms. These can be either 1-5 years for fixed rates or 1-7 years for variable rates.
Fees and charges
- Establishment fee – $195
- Monthly admin fee – $12
- Per each redraw (variable rates) – $10
- Early repayment fee (within the first 12 months) – $150
- Early repayment fee (after the first 12 months) – $100
- Break costs may also apply to fixed rate options. Other fees may also apply. Please note fees and rates are subject to change.
How to apply for a Bank SA car loan
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have permanent employment
- Have a regular, pretax income of at least $35,000 p.a.
- Be an Aussie citizen, permanent resident, or non-resident with confirmed employment in Australia.
You should also provide the following information and documents:
- Recent payslips and bank statements (for non Bank SA customers).
- Tax information if you’re self-employed.
- Details about your assets, savings, investments, other income, liabilities, and expenses.
The application process can take between 10 and 20 minutes. If you decide to apply, things that could improve your chances include paying your other debts on time and checking your credit score. You should also avoid multiple applications since these can dent your credit score.
Need a Bank SA car loan for something other than a car? Check out our guide on Bank SA personal loans next.
Popular car loan searches
View all popular car loans searches